Archive for the ‘Italian’ Category
I still go out to dinner with friends most Wednesdays, so I’m going to start keeping track again of where we go, what we have, and how we like it. Last Wednesday, April 25, we went to Zio’s, an Italian restaurant on Colley Avenue in the Ghent section of Norfolk. Good food, reasonable prices. Here’s what we had:
- Barbara had one of her favorite Italian meals: chicken Marsala. It was quite good and a large enough portion that she took half home.
- Keith had the lasagna – he also enjoyed it, but ate it all up 😉
- I ordered the veal parmesan – it too was a large portion, plenty to take half home, especially with the side of spaghetti with marinara sauce. Very tasty. I also ordered crostini with roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella – yummy.
Last Wednesday, Barbara and I had dinner at Fahrenheit, a new restaurant at 437 Granby Street in downtown Norfolk. It was quite good – I had a salad with grilled portobello and a honey-balsamic drizzle and penne with tomato sauce. Barbara had chicken marsala, which was served on mashed potatoes rather than the usual noodles. She enjoyed it.
Oddly, we were the only people in the restaurant. It’s only been open for a few months, so maybe it needs to find a following. The server told us that the chef used to be the chef at Velvet 25. So check it out – it was very good.
I’m a little behind on my restaurant reviews. On Wednesday, Aug. 24, my dinner group had dinner at Sirena Cucina Italiana on Granby Street in Norfolk. Sirena is Italian for mermaid and mermaids are the symbol Norfolk has adopted, so the owner used that for the name of the restaurant. Cute 🙂
So here’s how it went:
- Keith ordered caprese salad for us all to share. I love caprese salad, and they do it right at Sirena.
- I had Veal Parmigiana (veal breaded and sauteed, covered with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce and broiled) – it was wonderful. Came with spaghetti with marinara sauce and was enough for me to bring half home for Dan.
- Keith had the mushroom tagliatelle special (wild mushroom sauce over tagliatelle pasta) and it was great. He said the caprese salad was good and the tiramisu was fresh and tasty.
- Barbara had Pollo (Chicken) Marsala (lightly coated chicken breasts braised with Marsala wine and mushrooms); she said it was great, and was a generous portion.
- Karen had Pasta Pomodoro (linguine with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil) – she really enjoyed it, and it too was a generous portion.
- I think Susan also had the mushroom tagliatelle and enjoyed it.
During dinner, we were talking about pasta shapes and how there are so many. I went looking for a pasta shape glossary, and found this: pasta shapes